You are here

SOM License Application & Renewal

Quick Links

This online procedure contains: 

SOM Controlled Substance License Application (in References & Resources)

Renewal instructions

SOM contact information

Print version (in References & Resources)


Upon receipt of a new or renewed SOM license, create or update your Controlled Substance Registration (CSR) in eResearch Animal Management (eRAM).

Email for help or more information.

To order, store, and administer controlled substances for use in research, you must apply first for a State of Michigan (SOM) researcher license and obtain your SOM Permanent ID number, indicating license approval.

Apply for a New SOM Research License

The State of Michigan (SOM) license application includes the:

  • Application form
  •  List of required attachments

Important:  Near the top of the application, check the appropriate “schedule” box to select your license type.

Key Information:  SOM Application 

  • Business Name = University of Michigan – Department Name
  • Business Address = Building Name, Street Address, Room number (i.e., the exact storage location), City, State, Zip Code
  • Federal Employer Number = 386006309 (University of Michigan)
  • Fee = Check payable to “State of Michigan.” The fee amount is listed on the application.

Key Information:  Fingerprinting

Important: You can no longer complete the fingerprinting requirement before your application is received by the State of Michigan. 

You will receive the following information from the SOM once your application has been received:

  • Live Scan Request Form
  • Customer ID number
  • Instructions for fingerprinting 

The following company is authorized to perform the fingerprinting processes required by the State of Michigan. Use the link to find company locations in Michigan, schedule and pay for an appointment, etc.


  • Include U-M’s Agency ID Number (71734k) when scheduling an appointment
  • Bring the completed Livescan Request Form (provided by the SOM after your application is received) and valid form of photo identification (e.g., driver’s license, state or federal identification) to the fingerprinting appointment

Attachment Tips

The table below lists tips to complete the Information To Be Included… section of the SOM license application.  Compile this information in a separate document and attach it to the application for submission. 

Information Section Tips
Credentials Attach an NIH biosketch (see sample), or other relevant curriculum vitae information

Briefly describe your overall research goals in a non-scientific manner.  As applicable, indicate if controlled substances are to be:

  • Used in animal research (for anesthesia/analgesia)
  • Used for in vitro or analytical research
Indicate that all applicable protocols (animal or human subject) have been reviewed and approved by the appropriate University of Michigan regulatory committees.
Controlled substance list & dose

List all the controlled substances to be stored for research purposes at the location by:

  • Name
  • Estimated number of vials or containers by size
  • Concentration or powder
  • Dose (if used for anesthesia/analgesia in animal research)
Example: Ketamine 4 x 10 ml vials, 100 mg/ml, Dose = 80-120 mg/kg (mouse).
Storage & security

Identify the storage mechanism to be used.  For example:

  • Locked safe/cabinet, bolted to immovable object, such as the floor
  • Separate storage from other drugs and materials

Describe the security measures to be used.  For example:

  • Limited, authorized (via screening process) access
  • Minimal traffic flow
  • Storage facility locked when not in use
  • 24/7 availability of the University of Michigan Department of Public Safety
Indicate that appropriate records will be maintained, including an authorized personnel list, inventories, and usage records.

List the names and job titles of the personnel who:

  • Have access to the storage facility
  • May order and/or accept delivery of controlled substances
Supervisory Activity  For analytical laboratories conducting chemical analysis only.  Biomedical researchers can ignore this section.

Renew a SOM Research License

Initial SOM research licenses expire on June 30, regardless of issue date.  Subsequent renewals are valid for two (2) years.  Renew your SOM license online via My License.  

References and Resources

  • SOM License Application (fillable PDF) - enter the data, then print, and mail to the address listed in the application form


For SOM application and renewal questions contact the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Health Care Services at (517) 335-0918.