You are here

International Shipping Resources

Are you shipping to China, Russia, or Venezuela?

See our Electronic Export Information (EEI) Filing Requirements webpage to learn about key requirements and processes *(FOR U-M FACULTY, STAFF & STUDENTS ONLY)

International Shipping

When shipping tangible objects or materials for research purposes from the United States to an international destination, it is important to keep in mind that these items and materials must have an export control classification prior to shipment.  The exemption of fundamental research from export licensing requirements does not extend to the export of tangible objects and materials from the U.S., regardless of the purpose of the export.  International shipments of items and materials for research purposes should undergo the following four-step review:

1. Have you conducted Restricted Party Screening for your shipment?

When shipping internationally, it is important to check that the individuals or entities to which items or materials are being shipped are eligible to receive those materials (i.e. they do not appear on “specially designated national” or “restricted entity” lists and are not in embargoed locations).  Please fill out the RPS Google form to request RPS for your shipment.


2. Do you know the export classification for your shipment?

The U-M Export Control Program can assist with the classification of items and materials being shipped internationally for research purposes.  For commercial items, the manufacturer will often be able to provide you with the export classification for their product.  For items or materials that have been generated here at U-M, the Export Control Program can assist with export classifications.  Please email the Export Control Program at for assistance.


3. Do you need an export license?

Shipments of objects and materials from the United States may at times be export controlled to their intended international destination.  In these cases, the Export Control Program will assist you in applying for an export license from the federal government.  Shipment of export controlled items and materials should be planned well in advance, as it may take several weeks to several months to obtain the license from the relevant federal agency. 


4. Do you need to file an Electronic Export Information (EEI) filing?

If you are shipping to China (including Hong Kong), Russia, or Venezuela, there are special requirements for shipments to these locations. Please see the guidance *(FOR U-M FACULTY, STAFF & STUDENTS ONLY) on Electronic Export Information (EEI) filing requirements for these locations.

Additionally, if your international shipment has a single item that is valued at more than $2,500, Electronic Export Information (EEI) filing is required.  Please see the guidance *(FOR U-M FACULTY, STAFF & STUDENTS ONLY) on Electronic Export Information (EEI) filing requirements for these dollar thresholds.

References and Resources

Export Control Resources



Questions?  Contact the Export Controls Office at: sends e-mail)