You are here

DEA Registration Application & Renewal

Quick Links

This online procedure contains: 

DEA Controlled Substance Registration Application (in References & Resources)

Renewal instructions

DEA contact information

Print version (in References & Resources)


Upon receipt of a new or renewed DEA registration, email to record your license with the UMOR Controlled Substance Monitor.

After obtaining your State of Michigan Research Controlled Substance License, you must then apply for a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) researcher registration.

DEA Researcher Registration

Researchers using Schedule I controlled substances must obtain a separate registration from their Schedule II-V registration.

  • Complete DEA Form 225 online and attach your protocol to the application.  Application instructions can be found here: DEA Form 225

Key Information: DEA Application

  • Business Activity = Researcher (II-V) or Researcher (I)
  • Business Address = Building Name, Street Address, Room number (i.e., the exact storage location), City, State, Zip Code
  • Mailing Address (if different than the storage location) = Building Name, Street Address, Room number, City, State, Zip Code
  • Fee = Select the fee exemption checkbox; enter your Department Chair or Research Associate Dean as the Certifying Official
  • State Controlled Substance Number = permanent ID number (do not enter a clinical controlled substance number)
  • Order Forms = (for Schedules I and II only) Select the checkbox for DEA 222 Forms 

A DEA Investigator will contact the applicant to finalize the registration.  A questionnaire will be provided by the DEA investigator.  Researchers shall submit the completed questionnaire to Controlled Substance Monitors for review before submission to the DEA.

Renew a DEA Registration

DEA research registrations must be renewed annually based on the initial approval date.  Renew your registration online via the DEA website.  Visit the DEA Registration web page for additional information regarding registration and renewal forms, business practices, DEA policy and more.

References and Resources

  • Online Form 225 Link to the online DEA Controlled Substance Registration Form 225 for Schedules II - V only
  • Form 225 Instructions Link to the DEA website for instructions to complete the Controlled Substance Registration Form 225 (all Schedules)


DEA Registration questions?  Contact the Detroit Field Office for assistance.

Contact your Controlled Substance Monitor for other questions regarding your controlled substances:

Kelli Christman: (734) 764-2003