You are here

Electronic Export Information (EEI) Filing Requirements - for U-M Faculty, Staff and Students only

Electronic Export Information (EEI) is the electronic declaration of merchandise leaving the U.S. for export to a foreign country. An EEI is required to ship all items that are ITAR-controlled and some items controlled by the EAR. An EEI is filed through the Census Bureau’s Automated Export System (ACE AESDirect). The EEI includes information about the sender and receiver of the goods, and about the goods being exported, including an export control classification number (ECCN or USML Category).

Shipping Requirements for China, Russia, and Venezuela

Effective September 27, 2020, the United States Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) expanded the EEI filing rules for shipments originating in the United States, with a destination of the People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong), Russia or Venezuela.  (See Regulatory Alert: U.S. Export Control Changes for China, Russia and Venezuela) from FedEx.)

An EEI filing is required for shipments to China, Russia, and Venezuela for:

  • All shipments of a single item or merchandise valued at more than $2,500, even if an export license is not required.

  • Shipments, regardless of value or content, intended for military end-use.

  • Shipments of all ECCN items listed on the CCL (Commerce Control List), regardless of value or whether an export license is required to export the item, in order to obtain an ITN (Internal Transaction Number) prior to shipment.  BIS regulations exclude documents and EAR99 items of less than $2,500 in value.

General EEI Filing Requirement

The EEI must be filed with shipments from the U.S. to foreign destinations if any of the following applies:

  • Shipment of a single item or merchandise valued at more than $2,500. (Note: Shipments to Canada from the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)

  • The shipment contains merchandise, regardless of value, that requires an export license or permit.

  • The merchandise is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), regardless of value.

  • When the shipment is self-propelled vehicles.

  • When exporting “600 series” items, (i.e., “xY6zz” format for items on the Commerce Control List (CCL) that were previously controlled on the United States Munitions List (USML)).

  • Export under a license exception Strategic Trade Authorization (STA).

  • Shipments, regardless of value or content, intended for military end-use destined for China, Russia and Venezuela.

  • The shipment contains rough diamonds, regardless of value (HTS 7102.10, 7102.21 and 7102.31).

What does this mean for you?

If you are shipping from the U.S. to China, Russia or Venezuela, you must determine the following export classification information for the EEI filing for each of the commodities you plan to export:

  1. The Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) for the item(s), and
  2. The applicable Export License requirement (e.g., license number, or type of license exception, or an NLR (no license required) indication).


If you are a U-M employee or student and are shipping for research purposes and you do not know your export classification, please contact for assistance.

U-M Shipping Options

U-M Procurement Services offers resources and tools on their website to assist with EEI filing using one of two contracted shipping vendors, UPS and FedEx.  Both shippers are enabled to accept the EEI filing information provided by you. 

EEI Requirements for Shipments to Canada

EEI filing is not required for shipments from the U.S. to Canada unless the merchandise:

  • Is subject to ITAR, or
  • Requires an export license or permit, or
  • Is rough diamonds, or
  • Is transiting Canada to a different final destination

EEI Requirements for Shipments to U.S. Territories

An EEI filing is not required for shipments to other U.S. territories (American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Howland Islands and Wake Island) or from the U.S. Virgin Islands to the U.S., a U.S. territory, or Puerto Rico.



Questions?  Contact the Export Controls Office at: sends e-mail)