You are here
- A-Z Index and Glossary
- Outside Interest Disclosure
Outside Interest Disclosure
A report of an individual's "outside interests" (i.e., personal, professional, commercial, and/or financial activities, interests, or relationships) with an entity/organization external to the University of Michigan. Outside interest disclosures are to be made at least annually per U-M, State of Michigan, and federal research policies. At U-M, outside interests are reported using the M-Inform system.
- 3 Key Steps to Disclose in M-Inform Describes and illustrates the top three actions disclosers need to do within M-Inform to successfully submit their outside activity disclosures. (PDF) Last updated: 06/15/2021
- M-Inform Disclosure Questions (Sample) [PDF] Sample of the M-Inform disclosure form as of January 30, 2023, displaying all the pages, questions and conditional sub-questions one may see when reporting a new outside activity. Use this resource to become oriented to M-Inform. DO NOT use to submit disclosure information. Last updated 12/19/2022.
- M-Inform Glossary & FAQ
- Maintaining Department Information in M-Inform Instructions to assign M-Inform roles (e.g., unit reviewers of outside activities disclosures for the unit, division, department, or an individual) and send M-Inform reminder emails to disclose to individuals. (ITS) Last Updated: 06/29/20.
- Non-U-M Investigator Disclosure Process
- Non-UM Affiliate Financial Interests Disclosure Form
- Other Support Review
- Outside Activity Disclosure Guidance Lists the types of activities, relationships, and interests that investigators at the University of Michigan should and should not disclose as an outside interest in M-Inform. Last Updated: 12/19/2022
- Outside Interest Disclosure Process
- Prepare/Update a Disclosure for Another in M-Inform M-Inform instructions for proxies (i.e., unit assistants) to data enter outside activity disclosures for another U-M discloser. (ITS) Last updated: 06/29/20.
- Review an Outside Interest Disclosure in M-Inform M-Inform instructions to review outside activity disclosures on behalf of the discloser's U-M unit, division, or department. (ITS) Last Updated: 06/29/20.
- Reviewer Demonstration Video demonstration with audio of the Unit Reviewer Action Center in M-Inform, including the Reviewer workspace, tabs, and functions (e.g., approve/return a disclosure, send reminder emails) (5:02). Last updated: 06/25/2020.
- Start-Up Tipsheet for U-M Employees Approval and disclosure tips for U-M employees thinking of starting or joining a start-up company. (PDF) Last updated 04/10/2023
- Submit an Outside Interest Disclosure in M-Inform Instructions to add a new oustide activity disclosure to M-Inform, edit previous disclosures, remove outside activity disclosures, and restore previously inactive outside activity disclosures. (ITS) Last Updated: 06/29/20.
- Submit Information for a Research Initiated Certification Instructions for a discloser to answer a series of follow-up questions regarding an outside interest disclosure from a COI Office using M-Inform.
- U-M Start-Up Company Disclosure Process