You are here
This online procedure contains:
SOM Controlled Substance License Application (in References & Resources)
Print version (in References & Resources)
Upon receipt of a new or renewed SOM license, create or update your Controlled Substance Registration (CSR) in eResearch Animal Management (eRAM).
Email CSfirstname.lastname@example.org for help or more information.
To order, store, and administer controlled substances for use in research, you must apply first for a State of Michigan (SOM) researcher license and obtain your SOM Permanent ID number, indicating license approval.
Apply for a New SOM Research License
The State of Michigan (SOM) license application includes the:
- Application form
- List of required attachments
Important: Near the top of the application, check the appropriate “schedule” box to select your license type.
Key Information: SOM Application
- Business Name = University of Michigan – Department Name
- Business Address = Building Name, Street Address, Room number (i.e., the exact storage location), City, State, Zip Code
- Federal Employer Number = 386006309 (University of Michigan)
- Fee = Check payable to “State of Michigan.” The fee amount is listed on the application.
Key Information: Fingerprinting
Important: You can no longer complete the fingerprinting requirement before your application is received by the State of Michigan.
You will receive the following information from the SOM once your application has been received:
- Live Scan Request Form
- Customer ID number
- Instructions for fingerprinting
The following company is authorized to perform the fingerprinting processes required by the State of Michigan. Use the link to find company locations in Michigan, schedule and pay for an appointment, etc.
- IdentoGo (MorphoTrust USA) - http://www.identogo.com/
- Include U-M’s Agency ID Number (71734k) when scheduling an appointment
- Bring the completed Livescan Request Form (provided by the SOM after your application is received) and valid form of photo identification (e.g., driver’s license, state or federal identification) to the fingerprinting appointment
The table below lists tips to complete the Information To Be Included… section of the SOM license application. Compile this information in a separate document and attach it to the application for submission.
|Credentials||Attach an NIH biosketch (see sample), or other relevant curriculum vitae information|
Briefly describe your overall research goals in a non-scientific manner. As applicable, indicate if controlled substances are to be:
Indicate that all applicable protocols (animal or human subject) have been reviewed and approved by the appropriate University of Michigan regulatory committees.
|Controlled substance list & dose||
List all the controlled substances to be stored for research purposes at the location by:
Example: Ketamine 4 x 10 ml vials, 100 mg/ml, Dose = 80-120 mg/kg (mouse).
|Storage & security||
Identify the storage mechanism to be used. For example:
Describe the security measures to be used. For example:
Indicate that appropriate records will be maintained, including an authorized personnel list, inventories, and usage records.
List the names and job titles of the personnel who:
|Supervisory Activity||For analytical laboratories conducting chemical analysis only. Biomedical researchers can ignore this section.|
Initial SOM research licenses expire on June 30, regardless of issue date. Subsequent renewals are valid for two (2) years. Renew your SOM license online via My License.