You are here
This online procedure contains:
DEA Controlled Substance Registration Application (in References & Resources)
Print version (in References & Resources)
Upon receipt of a new or renewed DEA registration, email
CSemail@example.com to record your license with the UMOR Controlled Substance Monitor.
After obtaining your SOM Permanent ID number, indicating controlled substance license approval from the State of Michigan, you must then apply for a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) researcher registration.
DEA Researcher Registration
The application process for a DEA researcher registration differs based on the controlled substance schedule.
- Schedule I: complete the PDF version of Form 225 and mail with the protocol form (found in 21 CFR 1301.18) to the DEA per instructions included with the application
- Schedules II-V: complete and submit Form 225 online
Key Information: DEA Application
- Business Activity = Researcher (II-V) or Researcher (I)
- Business Address = Building Name, Street Address, Room number (i.e., the exact storage location), City, State, Zip Code
- Mailing Address (if different than the storage location) = Building Name, Street Address, Room number, City, State, Zip Code
- Fee = Select the fee exemption checkbox; enter your Department Chair or Research Associate Dean as the Certifying Official
- State Controlled Substance Number = permanent ID number (do not enter a clinical controlled substance number)
- Order Forms = (for Schedules I and II only) Select the checkbox for DEA 222 Forms
Approximately 4 – 6 weeks after submission, a DEA Investigator will contact the applicant to finalize the registration. Be prepared to provide additional information, such as protocol material provided with the SOM license application.
DEA research registrations must be renewed annually based on the initial approval date. Renew your registration online via the DEA website. Visit the DEA Registration web page for additional information regarding registration and renewal forms, business practices, DEA policy and more.