You are here
- A-Z Index and Glossary
Legal terminology contained in a contract that controls various aspects of the performance of the University and the sponsor.
For Training and Professional Development needs, start with Navigate,
- aiM Higher The University of Michigan guided and self-study program designed to assist research administrators in preparing for the Certified Research Administrator (CRA) exam.
- Good Clinical Practice U-M offerings to fulfill NIH-required training for study team members responsible for the conduct, management, and oversight of NIH-funded clinical trials.
- Navigate: Fundamentals Course
- Travel and Business Hosting Expense Policies and Procedures (U-M Standard Practice Guide)
- Travel Mileage Reimbursement (Finance site)
- Travel office, University (Procurement)
- Note: No travel funding from UMOR or ORSP
Unrelated Business Income Tax. This is income from a trade or business, regularly carried on, that is not substantially related to the charitable, educational, or other purpose that is the basis of the organization's exemption.
The former University Committee on Use and Care of Animals (UCUCA) is now the Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC). This committee is supported by the Animal Care & Use Office (ACUO) and works directly with U-M researchers to assure that all projects adhere to University policies and federal laws that require a review of projects for humane treatment and judicious use of vertebrate animals.
Learn more at animalcare.umich.edu.
Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine. ULAM provides animal housing facilities and veterinary care for animals on campus. It also educates students and faculty on the use and care of animals in education and research. See: http://www.ulam.med.umich.edu.
A resource for clinical studies at the University of Michigan can be found at https://umhealthresearch.org/ and provides information and resources for both volunteers and study teams.
The U-M Office of Research (UMOR). UMOR has primary responsiblity for research policy, oversight of responsible conduct of research education and compliance, and oversight of administration and support of research activity by the faculty.
Unfunded Agreement (UFA). Non-financial agreement with a sponsor, such as a Nondisclosure Agreement, Data Use Agreement, Material Transfer Agreement or Cooperative Research Agreement.
- PI Sign UFA This is a job aid created by U-M Information Technology Services (ITS) for use on the eResearch Proposal Management (eRPM) system.
- Unfunded Agreements Quick Reference Card for PI/Project Team This is a quick reference card created by U-M Information Technology Services (ITS) for use on the eResearch Proposal Management (eRPM) system.
Uniform Guidance (2 CFR 200): The Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards, effective December 26, 2014, replacing OMB Circulars A-110, A-21 and A-133. See http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-12-26/pdf/2013-30465.pdf
- Job Aid - Review of Uniform Guidance Monitored Budgets This document presents the accounts and budget lines that Finance - Sponsored Programs reviews and monitors pursuant to the Uniform Guidance.
- Job Aid - Review of Uniform Guidance Reports This document presents the criteria that Finance - Sponsored Programs uses to review reports, pursuant to the Uniform Guidance.
- Mandatory Disclosure Policy
- U-M's Implementation of the Uniform Guidance
- Uniform Guidance - June 2015 Information Session Presentation
- Uniform Guidance Monitored Costs A list of the types of costs that are monitored under 2 CFR 200 Uniform Guidance (previously A-21).
United States Code. The USC is a consolidation and codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States. It is prepared by the Office of the Law Revision Counsel of the United States House of Representatives.
All contributions (i.e., gifts and grants) to the University of cash, securities, or in kind equipment or materials, whether for the benefit of the entire institution or any of its sub-divisions which are not made under Material Transfer Agreements, are considered to be voluntary transfers and must be reported to the President and the Board of Regents (Section 3.05 of the Board of Regents Bylaws). The Office of Development (647-6000) is responsible for reporting all such contributions.
World Health Organization. WHO is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system.
Gateway to UM administrative systems. See https://wolverineaccess.umich.edu
The xTrain eRA Commons module provides PIs, university administrators, and trainees the ability to:
- electronically process and submit appointment forms (the PHS 2271 Statement of Appointment form) and termination notices (the PHS 416-7 Termination Notice) associated with institutional research training grants and career development awards.
- electronically prepare and submit T32 and T35 Statements of Appointments, and T32, T35, F31, and F32 Termination Notices.
Questions about xTrain should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org (a Finance-Sponsored Programs address for their who work specifically on the NIH NRSA training grants and fellowships.)