You are here
University conflict of interest policy as outlined in the Standard Practice Guide (SPG) must comply with state and federal external requirements. In addition, the university provides operational policies to guide employees in disclosing outside interests and managing identified conflicts of interest and commitment.
- NIH Conflict of Interest resources page - Public Health Service (PHS) regulation, which apply to grants and awards from the National Institutes of Health and other PHS agencies
- NSF COI Policy - National Science Foundation regulations for grants and awards
State of Michigan Policy
University of Michigan Policies
- SPG 201.65-1 Conflicts of Interest and Conflicts of Commitment
- Policy for Institutional Conflicts of Interest in Research - includes oversight requirements when U-M, as an institution, has financial interests that may affect/appear to affect research. [pdf] U-M Office of President policy, revised January 2018, effective July 1, 2018
- Policy for Identification and Management of Conflicts of Interest in Research and Technology Transfer - includes outside interest disclosure requirements for individual or personal COI. [pdf], revised September 2016
- Unit Policies - each school/college lists their policy on the U-M Office of the Provost website
Related Policies & Resources
The following lists U-M polices and resources by activities that have a conflict of interest component.
Work outside the university
- SPG 201.65-0 Work Outside the University
- SPG 201.85 Non-Appointment Related University Compensation (includes conflict of commitment policy)
- Regents Bylaw 5.12 Outside Employment
- SPG 303.04 University of Michigan Technology Transfer Policy
- SPG 601.3-2 Ownership and Use of Computer Software
- SPG 507.01 Procurement General Polices and Procedures
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 1.13 Business Transactions
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 1.14 Regental and Executive-Senior Officer Conflict of Interest Policy (revised September 1994)
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 2.16 Gifts to Regents and University Employees
- Faculty Handbook - Section 9.G describes and links to various federal, state, and U-M COI policies and resources as it relates to expectations for U-M faculty.